No-Start Condition - 2009 SIII

Those bits as owners we just know will occur!
Forum rules
DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT FAULTS PLEASE USE THE GENERAL QUESTION AREAS
Whisperhead
Finding my footing
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0

Re: No-Start Condition - 2009 SIII

Post by Whisperhead »

Another small update - just swapped all 4 plugs for known good used ones. No change.

Shel
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3
+_number: 2007

Post by Shel »

Yes fuel pump can whirr for up to 15 seconds depending on a number of random elements.
People should really stop expecting normal from me... It's never going to happen :icon_cool:

My Coupe Build Diary viewtopic.php?f=72&p=328213#p328213
Whisperhead
Finding my footing

Post by Whisperhead »

It's going to have to go to a garage then.
It's nearly 3 weeks off the road now and I'm running out of patience with it. It's been the most reliable car I've ever had until this ridiculous episode.
Whisperhead
Finding my footing

Post by Whisperhead »

Well it's not good news. The fuel pump wiring harness had completely burned itself out, and I'm amazed there wasn't a fire to be honest, so the unit had to be stripped and replaced with the appropriate parts.

However, then it had an MOT test. It's not good reading.

The car is going to require both front tyres, both rear discs, new pads, a new caliper, 2 exhaust sections (large hole in the seam), and welding to the ARB link mount which has fractured. The wheel alignment is also out, which is why the front tyres are run down.

The cost of the parts and all this work is going to be in the four figure region, and just isn't viable. I've got no choice but to scrap it.

It's particularly galling because I'm already a few hundred deep in repair parts anyway. I'm going to remove the new parts and will offer them here at a discount if there is any interest, I'll make a new post for that when the time comes.

Thank you to those who helped me here, I appreciate it. I wish I had better news. Another coupe struck off.
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Post by foxfeeder »

Wow, that's all bad news. Re the fuel pump wiring: Some sort of short somewhere?

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Whisperhead
Finding my footing

Post by Whisperhead »

Yeah it all went south really fast when the MOT came back sadly. I wish I could fix it, but I'm on a super low wage and struggling with making ends meet lately.

The main harness that plugs into the socket on the fuel pump assembly had a severe burn-through on the wiring, no idea how, but luckily it was just quick and done. Perhaps vibration had worn through the harness sheath and it ground or something? I never saw the wiring I'm afraid, just got the bad news from my mechanic.

I've salvaged some parts from the car that I'm going to offer here now I have 25 posts. I'll list what I have in the for sale section.
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Post by foxfeeder »

Whisperhead wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:47 pm Yeah it all went south really fast when the MOT came back sadly. I wish I could fix it, but I'm on a super low wage and struggling with making ends meet lately.

The main harness that plugs into the socket on the fuel pump assembly had a severe burn-through on the wiring, no idea how, but luckily it was just quick and done. Perhaps vibration had worn through the harness sheath and it ground or something? I never saw the wiring I'm afraid, just got the bad news from my mechanic.

I've salvaged some parts from the car that I'm going to offer here now I have 25 posts. I'll list what I have in the for sale section.
Sorry to hear that. Are you on Facebook? There's a HCOC Sales page on there, where you will find a much bigger audience for the sale items.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Whisperhead
Finding my footing

Post by Whisperhead »

I don't use Facebook, but I appreciate the tip. Perhaps they can go on ebay or something, it seems a shame for them to go to waste.
Rick
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3.5
+_number: 1701

Post by Rick »

Well that's a shame to hear but at least you've got the satisfaction that you eventually found out what it was after all that Time.