Hello from a potential owner, in search of wisdom.

IMPORTANT! YOU MUST SAY HELLO HERE OR THE TOTAL SITE REMAINS HIDDEN!
Forum rules
YOU NEED TO SAY HELLO HERE TO SEE ALL OF THE SITE.
PLEASE DONT ASK QUESTIONS HERE
THIS SECTION IS ONLY TO SAY HELLO. PLEASE REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SELL PARTS OR CARS UNTIL YOU HAVE 25 POSTS. THIS IS TO PROTECT HCOC MEMBERS.
IF YOU DO NOT SAY HELLO IMMEDIATELY YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED
Londonglide
Just got here
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello from a potential owner, in search of wisdom.

Post by Londonglide »

Hello HCOC.
I'm Londonglide, and am currently looking to purchase a Coupe in the new year.
I live within the M25, and next year my 1995 Mercedes Coupe, which I have owned for 10 years, will be subject to the new ULEZ charge, and I will have to let her go.
My daughter is in the same boat, with her Skoda Fabia VrS, and due to her age, we were looking at lower insurance cars for her.
I suggested a Hyundai Coupe 1.6 Manual for her, but she wants to keep 4 doors, however, as I looked into it, I realised these cars may be an ideal replacement for my Merc.
I have always liked the Coupe style, and as a lower cost runabout to our family people carrier, I have become very interested in a car for me.
I think a SIII 2.0 Auto will be the one for me, so I hope you guys (and girls) will chime in with advise and suggestions.
I'm under 6 foot, so don't think headroom will be an issue, but I do need a reliable vehicle for pootling about in.
Happy Christmas

Londonglide.

Shel
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3
+_number: 2007

Re: Hello from a potential owner, in search of wisdom.

Post by Shel »

:text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave: :greetings-waveyellow:
People should really stop expecting normal from me... It's never going to happen :icon_cool:

My Coupe Build Diary viewtopic.php?f=72&p=328213#p328213
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Still not sure I like it
Coupe: Non-Coupe

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Londonglide wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:15 am Hello HCOC.
I'm Londonglide, and am currently looking to purchase a Coupe in the new year.
I live within the M25, and next year my 1995 Mercedes Coupe, which I have owned for 10 years, will be subject to the new ULEZ charge, and I will have to let her go.
My daughter is in the same boat, with her Skoda Fabia VrS, and due to her age, we were looking at lower insurance cars for her.
I suggested a Hyundai Coupe 1.6 Manual for her, but she wants to keep 4 doors, however, as I looked into it, I realised these cars may be an ideal replacement for my Merc.
I have always liked the Coupe style, and as a lower cost runabout to our family people carrier, I have become very interested in a car for me.
I think a SIII 2.0 Auto will be the one for me, so I hope you guys (and girls) will chime in with advise and suggestions.
I'm under 6 foot, so don't think headroom will be an issue, but I do need a reliable vehicle for pootling about in.
Happy Christmas

Londonglide.
Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance at all for whatever vehicle you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6

Post by foxfeeder »

A clip of something I posted elsewhere in response to a similar question:

"Pick a good 'un and you should be fine. Main issues: rust, partic. rear arches, sills and general underside. Never going to be rust free, but avoid anything that needs welding. Electrical issues like windows, central locking and sunroof motor are cheap fixes, though the roof is a bit of a hassle. Anything more problematic, like immobiliser, alarm, or indicator issues might be BCM, though as long as it's not water damage, we have a tame fixer linked from threads here. Clutch needs a thorough check, get car nice and hot, and find a long hill, 4th gear at about 40, and floor it, any sign of the revs climbing quicker than the car is going to need a big chunk off the price. Low mileage is great, but these engines will go forever AS LONG AS they've not been neglected. Good luck!"

You won't have to worry about the clutch, good news is gearboxes, manual and auto, are, like the engine, bulletproof.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Rick
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3.5
+_number: 1701

Post by Rick »

Hi there and :text-welcomewave: to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft: