Very lucky boy!

Had a disaster? Broken it smashed it destroyed it? Overfilled it? Let us know what YOU did wrong so others don't!
rhyswh
It's good here ain't it?
Coupe: Gen3.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Very lucky boy!

Post by rhyswh »

Changed my discs and pads on Sunday (well 3 of them, took 3 hours to do the rear o/s one, will do the next last one this weekend!) with the help of my other halfs dad. He did the front n/s whilst I did the front o/s. Anyway they were no problem and done withing 20minutes.

Drove the 45min trip home Sunday, no problem. Drove to work this morning and start hearing this banging noise from the front n/s. Sounded like something catching as the wheel went round, I thought maybe a warped disc. As I got closer to work it got worse. Didn't have time to check anything when I got to work.

Had to go off site at 10, only 2 mins down the road and the noise was even worse. So I did what I had to do and before going back on site I decided I really needed to check it.

Upon inspection I found that not a single one of the bolts were done up! Good chance they were tightened slightly but loosened up through use but I couldn't believe it! I guess we just forgot to torque them up!

Took the wheel off and checked the disc and everything seems fine, put the wheel back on and drove back and it feels and sounds good.

I must of hit 70 at some point last night coming home overtaking someone. It's scary to think that it could have gone very differently. Only good thing from this is it will never happen again that's for sure!

Always double check your nuts!

aaronyuri
Advice star
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)
Engine: 2.0

Re: Very lucky boy!

Post by aaronyuri »

rhyswh wrote: Always torque your nuts!
Fixed that for you. ;) Lucky indeed. Don't make the same mistake again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rhyswh
It's good here ain't it?

Post by rhyswh »

Haha, thanks! Trust me I wont'!
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 1.6

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Just luckily you picked up on it before anything happened :)
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!
rhyswh
It's good here ain't it?

Post by rhyswh »

I know, I feel like I've dodged a bullet! A wheel coming off at 50-70mph is no joke!

I now have a grinding noise coming from the front o/s at low speeds! I'm putting this down to new pads that need bedding in.....or should I be worried?
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 1.6

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Is it on braking or just moving? I've never had any noise issues with new pads though tbh :confusion-shrug: might be worth getting a garage to check it over? Unless someone else can give some look onto the noise first? Did you grease up all the pads?
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!