Lexo
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 111

Re: Rear driver side rattle

Post by Lexo »

The fault has been found :happy-partydance:
Started the day under the rear and only found a splash guard for the fuel filler pipe loose (rusted through, 1 rivet holding it on) but didn't solve the prob so went to see my local mechanic

He kindly had it up on the ramp for half hour and didn't charge me a thing.
Turns out that the rear bar bushes are a bit loose with some small cracks appearing. I tried them myself but when we were both under it we could give it a proper shove rather than just being on jack stands which is why I didn't spot it last time.

So will be back there shortly after getting a poly bush kit ,if someone could link me an ebay one or something please :handgestures-thumbupleft: can only find the standard rubber ones.
Found this thread but not sure what size I should be getting http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 3&p=140386
It's for the rear of a 2.0 Siii.

Reckons a 10min job and also found the cause of my minor oil leak that's been there for nearly a year, drive shaft seal.
Will be asking him if he minds me putting his details on the Scotland section as he spent a good amount of time checking things and even telling me how I can do it myself etc. Ace guy.

smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
VoodooRoller
Getting noticed
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by VoodooRoller »

I would be interested in your findings; I discovered a similar rattle the other day from the offside rear :(

What do the rear bar bushes look like, and how can I check if it's the cause of my rattle? Will be checking the top strut nut as well among other things.
robbo wrote:those are some hefty nipples you have there
i know josh likes a tease so here's mine
Enter August 2014's POTM here: http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 57&t=18580
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Bushes are a simple 'D' shape, standard ones are rubber.
Anti roll bushes.jpg
Anti roll bushes.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
They attach on the rear anti roll bar, the bar that connects both rear wheels. Each side there is a small metal section that connects to the main body of the car and these stop any rattles.
Mine are just over 5yr old and a bit worn, last Coupe they were 6yr old and fine so :confusion-shrug: . Standard ones are only £20 on ebay and an easy replacement of 10min a side.
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
VoodooRoller
Getting noticed

Post by VoodooRoller »

Got home while it was still light today so I tried to take a look at my drop link bush to check if it is worn, but I got confused and couldn't locate it. 10 minutes later after the tears stopped I managed to pick myself up off the floor and take a picture:
uploadfromtaptalk1394124773052.jpg
Can somebody point me in the right direction for the drop link please? Also will wiggling it replicate the knocking noise?

P.S. ignore that black thing hanging down in the background. Turned out my A/C belt had ripped itself to shreds a few days ago and has been hanging there since >_<
Enter August 2014's POTM here: http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 57&t=18580
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

You want the part here called 'rear stabilizer link'. They go for around £25-30 a pair.
Rear Suspension.jpg
Jack it up and give a good tug. The bushes I had the issue with are behind the rear cross member on the stabilizer bar.
Ended up that when I took them off they were ok so got a old tire inner tube and cut a length to wrap round the bar. Smooth as silk and not a rattle since ;)
VoodooRoller
Getting noticed

Post by VoodooRoller »

I think I was getting confused between the stabiliser bar and the drop link, but think I got it now thanks to the diagram you linked :)

So is the bush that you fixed this part in the red circle...?
uploadfromtaptalk1394205940926.jpg
Do you just unbolt it with the car jacked up? How do you get it off? I'm new to suspension :P
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Put the car up on stands then put the jack under the side of the bar you are doing 1st and jack it up a LITTLE to take the strain so when you remove it then it does not ping off.

Had mine up on a lift when it was done, there's a bolt either side of the 'U' shaped metal housing and just pops off. The rubber bush behind it has a split so it comes off with twist/tug motion.