Anti-roll bar links

Those bits as owners we just know will occur!
Forum rules
DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT FAULTS PLEASE USE THE GENERAL QUESTION AREAS
Karl121
Learning the ropes
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0

Anti-roll bar links

Post by Karl121 »

I've had my Coupe for about 18 months and its coming in to the 2nd MOT. I lost my cert and forgot the date so checked online and had a nosey at the previous MOT's. It seems that my car has always had play in the same anti roll bar link. I did change it after the last MOT though.

Out of interest has anyone else had this issue with the Siii? Or can it not be changed for 3 MOT's and always come up as an advisory but never a fail?

Thanks
Karl

Lexo
Club Supervisor
+_number: 111

Re: Anti-roll bar links

Post by Lexo »

I had a minor for a wheel bearing for 2 years. Ended up being the retention nut, tightened it and been fine for 2 years now.
My drop links got changed around 18 months ago when one of them was knackered (by me) just before it went for an MOT but instantly failed for play in it. (took all 4 with me as new as knew it would probably be an issue).

The part is about £26 for all four (front and rear pairs) so may as well just do them all for the sake of an hours labor if not 30min.
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
Rod Panhard
Regular contributor

Post by Rod Panhard »

Best drop links are the MOOG ones from the US, I got a pair of rears from Amazon US when I bought my car 2 years ago and they cost me £46 the pair inc. postage but they are so well made and heavy duty compared to the £12 a pair Ebay ones, plus they have zerk fittings so you can regrease them yourself every 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1
Karl121
Learning the ropes

Post by Karl121 »

I changed the play one after the MOT, so I hope it should be okay. If its not I will grab some from the amazon US site. Thanks for the link!

It just seemed to be a recurring problem, unless the last owner didn't get them changed but I am assuming they did as it failed its first MOT then the next was clean. After that MOT the anti-roll bar link has always been up.

Lexo wrote: My drop links got changed around 18 months ago when one of them was knackered (by me) just before it went for an MOT but instantly failed for play in it. (took all 4 with me as new as knew it would probably be an issue).
And how did you do that?
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

It is quite possible for one examiner to fail a ball joint whereas another would pass it as the reason for rejection is 'excessive' play but the term is not defined. Furthermore, the discretionary nature of the advisory section means that a reference to a what is by definition a minor issue could come and go each year.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Karl121 wrote:
Lexo wrote: My drop links got changed around 18 months ago when one of them was knackered (by me) just before it went for an MOT but instantly failed for play in it. (took all 4 with me as new as knew it would probably be an issue).
And how did you do that?
Tried to get one off to change them myself but it got stuck so at MOT time they changed it after it failed due to that. Already had 4 in the boot as expected it was knackered.
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
Karl121
Learning the ropes

Post by Karl121 »

Maybe getting stronger ones better then. Seems like they don't last, unless there is another issue causing these problems.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

The rear ARB bushes go at around 60k and that gives the ARB a bit more wiggle room so then starts to cause more wear on the drop links.
60k aint bad for a cheap part that's got no protection from the elements imo.
Karl121
Learning the ropes

Post by Karl121 »

The cars had the advisory since 25k and its only done 44k. Nvm if I gotta change it I will change it. Easy enough job.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Not a necessity to do them in pairs but if you have a spare £10-15 for the other side worth doing I would think.
Karl121
Learning the ropes

Post by Karl121 »

Thats what I would do thanks to it being the easiest thing to do and its not expensive so its all good :)