Gen 1 - Remote Locking Key fob fix

karldou
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by karldou » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

This is how I managed to re-pair my remote key fob with my remote locking on my 1998 Gen 1 SE.

The steps are slightly different to what I have read on other posts, but this process worked for me.

Tools Needed
1 x Remote Key fob
1 x 10mm socket
1 x flexible handle socket bar
1 x cross head screwdriver
1 x flat head screwdriver
1 x set of pliers

Step 1 - Remove panel below steering wheel and above pedals.
4 x screws = Two screws at bottom left and right of panel, another screw is behind an oval shaped cover on top left of panel, use a flat head screw driver to remove this. one screw is behind right side of centre console, mine was already missing this screw but you may need to remove the centre console face to get to this screw.

Step 2 - Remove dash light dimmer switch, this should pop out with the helping hand of a flat headed screwdriver, best to disconnect this as it helps access.

Step 3 - Remove panel, the bonnet release cable may stop you getting the correct access, i just twisted the panel 90 degrees to the right at wedged it between dash and drivers door. ( I also had to remove the two screws which were holding the OBD port in place with a cross head screwdriver.

Step 4 - Locate immobiliser and remove 2 10mm bolts. The immobiliser is to the right of the steering wheel and is a rectangular box with a white sticker on the front, attached to it is a thick black rubber aerial.

Remove the left side 10 mm bolt using the socket, there will be another relay attached to the same bolt, this can just be moved out the way for now.

To get to the right side socket you will have to move some of the wiring loom out of the way to get a clear view. Most connectors are just fixed in place by white clips which will pop out with the help of some pliers.
You will need a tool similar to this one to get to the second bolt.

If you look through the small inspection hole on the right side of the dash you will see the second bolt to the right.

Un-do the bolt and the unit should fall down quite easily.

Step 5 - Locate switch on side of immobiliser and remove clear sticker.

Remove sticker covering switch and flick switch to the SET position.

Step 6 - Turn key to ON position and sync key fob.

Once you have turned the ignition to the ON position close all doors and then press BOTH the unlock an lock buttons at the same time and hold for a few seconds. Then release and turn the ignition OFF.

Step 7 - Return the switch on the immobiliser unit back to the OFF position and test your locking, all should now be working.

Step 8 - In true Haynes style, refitting is the reversal of removal!

muan

Re: Gen 1 - Remote Locking Key fob fix

Post by muan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Good guide mate :clap: :clap:

mick doyle
Advice superstar
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 1.6

Post by mick doyle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Nice job mate, very detailed guide.
Thanks for taking the time to write it all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
thedupleman wrote:Ouch. I know he has black bits

karldou

Post by karldou » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 pm

No worries, least I could do after all the help I've found on this forum!

jammygiant

Post by jammygiant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am

hi mine doesnt have that switch can u shed some light on it for me please i have a 51plate coupe?