How to read/reset Gen 1 codes (aka Hi-Scan on the cheap!)

MJNewton
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0

How to read/reset Gen 1 codes (aka Hi-Scan on the cheap!)

Post by MJNewton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 pm

This post is a rough writeup of some experimentation and so should be regarded as something of a 'work in progress'! My only test reference is my Gen 1 so applicability to laters models is unknown (they ought to be easier to work with though).

A couple of weeks ago my ABS warning light came on, and my immediate thoughts were that it must be something to do with me having replaced the timing belt only a few days before. But how?! Sure, I was working on the side of the engine very near to the ABS pump but even so... The warning light alone was little help - I really needed to get the code read so that I could see what was up.

Unfortunately, I was quite aware that when it comes to reading/resetting fault codes on cars it can be something of a minefield thanks to a variety of protocols - some standard, some proprietory, yet many revolving around various incarnations of OBD. To make matters worse I've got a Gen 1 from 1999 and so, by virtue of both its age and it being European, all bets are seemingly pretty much off from what I could gather.

All bets that is apart from Hyundai's 'Hi-Scan' (Hyundai Intelligent Scanner) which is pretty much a dealer-only option. I didn't relish paying to get a fault code read, and indeed fully understand any dealer hesitation to do so given it is their investment in such equipment that allows them to 'add value' and charge accordingly for reading codes and repairing the cause.

Fortunately, I stumbled across Ulrich Hecht's CASCADE (Car Scanner Device Emulator) which, as the name implies, can emulate scanning software - which includes Hi-scan and Nex-Tech's (who make Hi-Scan for Hyundai) non-OEM generic Carman Scan range of scanners. You can find futher details at his website.

Ulrich provides a demo version of Cascade and you can get the Hi-Scan software from Webtech (here). The only thing remaining is a USB-to-OBD cable. There are many types available, but I went for this one because it is based on FTDI's FT232 chipset (which I knew Cascade supports), has an unscrewable plug body (see below for reasons why) and above all was cheap (£6.99 all-in) so not the end of the world if I couldn't get it to work.

Now, like many (most?) manufacturers in the late 90's, Hyundai's OBD implementations were far from standardised and so proper pinouts were often not fully followed. A significant issue with my Gen 1 is that, according to the data link connector schematic the ECU 'k line' is connected to pin 7 as per OBD-II/EOBD/ISO9141-2 requirements but the ABS and Airbag are connected to pins 8 and 12 respectively. Hi-Scan can cope with this but a generic OBD cable driven by Cascade can't so I had to cut the hard link from the 'k line' to the plug board (which connected it to pin 7) and run a wire to pin 8 instead in order to 'speak' to my ABS:

Now on to the test!

I fired up Cascade demo and pointed it to the Hi-Scan software ROM - it recognised my USB-to-OBD cable (Win 7 already had the FTDI drivers but the cable came with a CD with them presumably on):

Going through the menus I could then tell it I had a Coupe (Tiburon) which brought up various options:

Selecting the ABS option and some trial and error with the baud rate (10400 seemed to work) I was able to eventually connect and read off my fault codes!

As you can see, the issue was twofold - front left tone wheel speed jump and sensor airgap. Diving under the car revealed that my front left tone wheel had cracked and was loose on the driveshaft. So with some relief it turned out not to be related to my timing belt work afterall!

At this menu I was also able to erase the codes with F2 which also reset the ABS light although the codes and light will of course keep coming back until I've fixed the problem (I've bought new rings but haven't fitted them yet).

Wandering around I found you could also get some realtime ABS-related info:

However, herein lies the issue with the demo version - not only is it time-limited (i.e. it resets after a few minutes) but it is also data-limited too and hence such realtime info would likely force a reset before too long. I was able to perform various tests though e.g. exercising the ABS pump etc.

Obviously with this success I didn't want to stop there so I went on to see if I could talk to the airbag and ECU too. For this I modified the plug further to allow me to select which pin I ran the 'k line' too i.e. 7 for ECU, 8 for ABS or 12 for airbag. To do this I snipped the previous jumper wire and soldered tails on to each pin - I could then connect the 'k line' to the respective pin as required:

I first tried pin 12, for the airbag, and was eventually able to connect to it to read any codes. This seemed a bit more difficult than with the ABS and required a few more attempts with cycling the ignition. It eventually connected however and revealed the lack of any stored codes as expected:

Next up was the ECU (pin 7) however I had no joy whatsoever with this. Lack of time, and requirement, meant that I didn't get to the bottom of this so I'll have to do some more experimentation in due course. I'll have to make sure the ECU is even connected to pin 7 on my car otherwise I could be digging for something that doesn't even exist!

Anyway, I hope these findings are of some interest/help to someone - if nothing else it has allowed me to read and reset a fault code for less than a tenner and should hopefully come in handy for future work. If I can get the ECU communication working, and everything running a bit more slick than currently, I'll certainly be forking out the €49 (~£41) for the full version of Cascade. I'll also look at neatening up my bodged cable, perhaps by having the pin selection through a switch rather than jumper wires. I may even try connecting pins 7,8 and 12 together as OBD employs a collision detection protocol so should be able to cope (not sure if I want to risk it though just in case I destroy something!).

Any questions/comments please don't hesitate.

Mathew

Matt1g
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to read/reset Gen 1 codes (aka Hi-Scan on the cheap!

Post by Matt1g » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm

You sir are a legend,

If you manage to make a proper selector switch, let me know, I might be interested in buying one from you,lol :laughing-rollingyellow:

aaronyuri
Advice star
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)

Post by aaronyuri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Bloody good work, Mat! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :bow-yellow:
2012 Porsche Cayman R - the toy, the whip, the weapon.
2004 Honda S2000 - the daily, the workhorse, the fart cannon.

I'm not arguing with you; I'm telling you that you're wrong.

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm

I only found bits of a jigsaw and managed to put them together into something resembling a picture!

As mentioned, the stickler at the moment is that I've not been able to speak to the ECU however ABS and airbag work so it could be good enough for a lot of common issues. It also all feels a bit 'fragile' when it comes to repeatability - it works most of the time but sometimes there's a longer wait than others for communication to take hold and as a 'logical' type of person I don't like this level of uncertainty!

It could be the age of the Gen 1 that will be the fundamental barrier to futher progression (being pre-ODB mandated standardisation as commonly discussed), and so I'd be keen to find out how others with later gen's get on if they give this a go - or do generic ODB readers already do a good enough job with them?
Last edited by MJNewton on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronyuri
Advice star

Post by aaronyuri » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the generic OBD readers can't do ABS or air bag faults on the E-OBDII compliant cars... Bit of a blurred recall there.
2012 Porsche Cayman R - the toy, the whip, the weapon.
2004 Honda S2000 - the daily, the workhorse, the fart cannon.

I'm not arguing with you; I'm telling you that you're wrong.

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 pm

I could certainly believe that to be the case. If ABS/SRS can be considered as 'secondary' systems then perhaps they've escaped the mandate that forces ECUs, as a 'primary' system, to be interrogated without proprietory readers - particularly if the impetus has always been an issue of emissions.

That said, if this is the case then for generic readers too it should just be a case of swapping the 'k line' (pin 7) over to 8 (ABS) or 12 (airbag) exactly I've done. I suppose there might be an issue with easy access to the innards of the plug in many cases, but if necessary the mods could be done on the car socket instead (although some caution would be recommended here!).

thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
+_number: 0002

Post by thedupleman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:46 pm

As always mr newton,you sir,are a leg-end :laughing-rollingyellow: :laughing-rollingyellow: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Fitted the new ABS reluctor rings today and can confirm all is good once more! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'd recommend 'dodthebod' on eBay for these (eBay Link) as they were only £11.98 (+£1.75) for the pair, arrived quickly and fitted perfectly.

I had another quick play with HiScan but still couldn't talk to the ECU or cruise control. I still haven't looked behind the socket to see exactly what's connected but might have to wait for the lighter/warmer months before doing that as there's a bunch of other DIY jobs around the house demanding my attention!

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support
Coupe: Gen2 (1999-2001)

Re: How to read/reset Gen 1 codes (aka Hi-Scan on the cheap!)

Post by ImGoingSpace » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:14 pm

So i'm trying this on my gen2, i assume, from what i can see, that the abs is still on 7.
however cascade will not connect. I bought a cable, that has a few more pins than yours, and robbo gave me one that looks the same as yours in the OP, i've jumped K-Line to 7, but still this: (I've flicked through all the Baud Rates)

Here's the one from Robbo: (ignore the high quality solder joint on 7, its solid)

Heres the one i bought:

robbo
Club Supervisor
+_number: 0026

Post by robbo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm

One thing I just thought of (and I'm sure you have) but have you Installed the drivers for the cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My F2 Evo build
Member #0026: Never knowingly under polished

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Note that ABS is on pin 8...

(Are you able to connect okay to the ECU on pin 7? That will help rule out other potential causes)

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support

Post by ImGoingSpace » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:23 pm

robbo wrote:One thing I just thought of (and I'm sure you have) but have you Installed the drivers for the cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup PC and cascade both pick up the cable just fine.
MJNewton wrote:Note that ABS is on pin 8...

(Are you able to connect okay to the ECU on pin 7? That will help rule out other potential causes)
Thats a very valid point, Ignore the above pft :laughing-rollingyellow: :laughing-rollingyellow:

Didnt try to connect any other way, Ill stick a switch on it if it does work.

still, how do i ID the KLine on the lower of the two do you know?

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:36 pm

The K line will be connected to pin 7 by default.

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support

Post by ImGoingSpace » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Well im a dumb. She works now. Front left sensor. And the abs test is an interesting feature!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support

Post by ImGoingSpace » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Ill have a play with the other pins on weds.

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:06 pm

That's great news!

The ABS control can also be used to open up all the valves to allow complete bleeding if you ever need to replace the pump.

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support

Post by ImGoingSpace » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Faffed a thing together tonight. As yet untested, although ABS worked before i added the switch, so should still work...

ImGoingSpace
Facebook support

Post by ImGoingSpace » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:09 pm

MJNewtons link for the file to run cascade is sadly no longer alive.

I have uploaded it to my google drive, however a more permanent solution would be ideal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cY0iBQ ... sp=sharing

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm happy to host it - here's the repackaged open source final version with the latest Hi-Scan ROM:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/cascade_0.9.4.zip
These users thanked the author MJNewton for the post (total 4):
Mike.Lawre (Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 pm) • Lexo (Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 pm) • ImGoingSpace (Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm) • Outlaw (Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 am)
Rating: 33.33%

AliceH21
Finding my footing
Coupe: Gen3
Been thanked: 0

Post by AliceH21 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Does anyone have an up to date link for Cascade? The demo version only lets me read for 30 seconds before going back to the main screen

Thanks

Shel
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Gen3

Post by Shel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm

I take it you have got the Hi Scan added into Cascade as well?
To err is human....who said I was human? Live long and prosper... Nanu nanu :dance:

MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Sorry - I broke the link. Fixed now.
These users thanked the author MJNewton for the post:
Mike.Lawre (Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 pm)
Rating: 8.33%